The Love of Keeping Home

Tuesday, March 27, 2012




Betty Jane Moracca, this is her story.

My great grandmother came from 
Italy to America stuffed in an 
old suitcase when she was a young girl.


Her parents were fleeing the country afraid for their
family's future in the beginning of WWI.


They smuggled my little great grandmother, Kate, in an 
old suitcase because they feared she would
be taken from them through the journey.


Once in America they made their trail all the way
to Kalispell Montana.


Around Kalispell in a little humble mountain town 
called Monroe. Which is near Hamilton, for those of you
you are familiar with Montana. In Monroe, my great grandparents raised their family through the much hard work of farming.


My great grandmother Kate grew up to become a beautiful Italian American woman. She married her love Denny Moracca (also an immigrant from Italy) and together they opened their soon to become thriving restaurant Denny's. Named after my great grandfather, Kate's husband, Denny Moracca. Denny's is still in Monroe today. (I wish I could share the "real" pictures of my family's history, but the are under contract due to publication regulations) I'm sorry :( But soon you may be able find the full version in your bookstore :)


Together they had my dear little grandma Betty Jane Moracca.
Along with four other children. Betty Jane was the baby of the family. She grew to a petite 4'11".
 Barely 90lbs dripping wet. 
My youngest daughter Audrey has 
her Italian olive colored eyes.
I get to see my beloved grandma
 every time I look 
into Audrey's eyes.


I wish I could continue on with this story
to say that all was 
bliss and merriment for the Moracca family.
Unfortunately, great grandma Kate and great grandfather Denny
divorced when grandma Betty was a young five year old girl.
Grandmother Kate took three of the children 
and grandfather Denny kept grandma Betty
and her older sister Bunny.

Through out grandma's youth along with great aunt Bunny's,
they worked on their grandparents farm. My great great grandfather
was quite a strong brute. He was harsh, insensitive and
quite abusive. Especially to little Betty Jane. 
He required the girls to work like 
grown men such as himself.


The only good that I can find from such abuse 
and behavior is that it definitely 
instilled a work ethic that
would continue on through
grandma's children and grandchildren.


Years passed and grandma became a young woman
 and pursued her nursing degree.
Once finished with school,
grandma decided to take over her
father's restaurant and run it full time.


There she met and fell in love with a very non Italian
man. A Dutch man who was a mechanic engineer 
in the United States Military. My grandfather Vernon. 
A young Dutch man who was born on his parents farm in 
rural Cheney Washington.


After his tour in Korea 
he and grandma reunited, married and
begun their journey in Monroe.


Together they owned and ran Denny's.
On August 14th 1958 came their first daughter,
my mother, Katherine Lorein. Two years later
on the exact same date came my 
aunt Verna. 

Years later, they moved their family to
Spokane Washington. Where grandpa Vernon
made his career as a mechanical engineer on trains.


Out of the ashes of an abusive
 childhood working on her grandparents farm
My grandmother Betty became a successful
business and restaurant entrepreneur.
Where she worked hard for her money
and conveyed a strong work ethic that would
be passed down through her generations.

Be encouraged and aim for the sky!