The Love of Keeping Home

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Southern comforts







Heavens... and Oh my! Sometimes I think I should have been born and raised a southern girl. There is such a strong love of flowers, tea, cake, pecan pie, whipped cream, table cloths, magnolia trees, stainless steel serving spoons, English lace and beautifully fancy clothes. I LOVE dressing up and wish I could get away with donning a sun umbrella.



But avast, I live in a jeans world. But a jeans world that may be... can't hinder my growing collection of beautiful dishes and cups! I am so in love with blue dishware. Oh My Goodness!!



Aren't they so pretty and happy? Can you tell I'm gravitating toward spring?



Oh the patterns, the shades of blue make my heart a~flutter. Eating off these plates is luxury at it's finest!



Dahling, isn't it? It's fun to find these beautiful tea cups in pretty patterns (they don't have to be blue) in old antique and thrift stores. It's amazing to me what people throw out. I come along and think "what, this is my dream come true!" It's definetly the simple things.





And this my dear friends, is a serving platter from the Blue Onion collection. Had to put it up twice for you, just to ensure you saw it! I am proud to say I am the very happy owner of this entire set. I inhereted the set from my little Italian grandma Betty. Evertime we eat off these plates I'm taken back to countless dinners in grandma and grandpa's dinning room. I love them and insist on taking them when I leave this world. He'll understand.



When my children grow and move from our home and I become an empty nester, I will surely insist on Tea Time. This is when my girlfriends can join me at my pretty set table (in the breakfast nook, of course) in the afternoon around 4 for Tea and something deliciously sweet! What do you think? I think I have something to look forward to in my "older" age.







The Mitford series gives me a wonderfully delightful glimpse into the common life of Southerners. I love the simplicity of the daily living among the townspeople. Have you read them? The author is Jan Karon. And allow me to say this, when I am her age I hope to be just 5% as beautiful as she. Heavens!






She has also written a wonderful cookbook that features recipes from her novels in the Mitford series. The pictures captured in this cookbook are beautiful. They often inspire me.




So alas friends, the sun is breaking through the living room windows as I dream aloud of southern things. Today I will be happily cooped up in my very northern home preparing for yet another long trip away. Blessings to all and enjoy your day. My!