The Love of Keeping Home

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Vernon"

‘tis the season
For a brand new year

“CHEERS!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy New Year friends. I for one am thrilled that it’s a new year. The theme already seems to have been set for this new year… Discontentment. In which case I intend on turning it into contentment. I am finding myself torn with discontentment. Over the last several months I have been pouring and investing my heart, time, resources and world into this new business venture I’ve inherited.

During the year time my father has been gone, his apartment manager remained the manager. Little did I know what kind of man he really was. With much hard work and legal help I successfully obtained executor of my father’s estate. Which also includes becoming the sole owner of his apartments. Before the ink was even dry I ran to the apartment complex of five buildings and twenty-eight units excited to full fill my obligation. Much to my dismay, over the course of only hours and days, I learned what and who were occupying much of my apartment complex. The manager who conveniently was quitting and moving to Alaska was indeed the father of Grant County’s drug cartel ring leaders. His children, all of which reside on the premises, were moved in by their father over the year.

To allow you to better understand the situation my new manager, my mother, and myself have been verbally and physically assaulted, threatened to be killed, taunted, intimidated with many scare tactics and stalked. They have stolen more tools and property from my beloved father than I can keep track of. Each day I am in constant communication with the city of Ephrata police. They know me by name. Now I’m sure this shocks you and you say to yourself “why on earth would you want to endanger yourself, just sell and run.” To answer this question is simple. My heart in invested and I have spent a great deal of resources and time to obtain what was rightfully given to me. My father’s apartments have been taken advantage by the decay of Grant County society. They have been turned into a royal mess, to say the least. I have a fire lit under me to make my father proud and clean house. I’ve said this from the beginning that his integrity and reputation means a great deal to me. I don’t want to give anyone reason to say “that once Leo died, so then did his apartments.” The city of Ephrata, my attorney and dad’s friends have been so wonderful to me. I have found such affection and apathy for this little community.

Remember when I said in my last “Vernon” newsletter that I feel like David against Goliath. Never did I imagine what exactly Goliath looked like. God has opened doors to such a world I never knew imagined. My Goliath are these apartments in so many ways.

Because of my mother and myself, Dad’s apartments are truly a family owned business. No apartment managing company would throw so much heart, sweat and tears into something like this. The city of Ephrata have been combating this drug ring for many years. They too are invested in ridding these guys. A city civil deputy has been appointed to me so I can call anytime day or night for advice and protection. The city police patrol the neighborhood my father’s house (where I live when I’m there) for my protection. They patrol the apartments hourly because they understand and are aware of the danger we are in. It’s an effort in everybody’s part to clean up the trash and keep that little town safe. It’s a charming little Washington town. It’s a disgrace that such people are so involved in illegal activity because it brings in filth and a way of life that brings down the quality of good hard working citizens. The apartments are an entire city block that sit directly across from the public high school. Knowing what goes on at these apartments and the exposure such activities have to the high school kids next door is unsettling at best. I don’t want to be known as the owner of the slums. I want people to be proud to live next to Sun Basin Apartments. I don’t want parents to shudder as they drive by the apartments dropping off their teenagers to school. I want them to feel their kids are safe.

I tell everyone they wont even recognize the apartments this time next year. I can see in the city officials faces their appreciation for someone who cares so deeply for something that has been ignored and brought into ruins. I say this with great humbleness. I say this knowing God’s amazing grace and mercy. I say this full well knowing that I am only a body and mind in which God has been prepping for His work. Work, such a common word for such a complex meaning. I have moments where I look back from days when I was only a child. The work ethic that was instilled and lived out by both my parents, my beloved grandparents…my family.

My father’s father was an orphan in Switzerland who once turned eighteen moved to the United States and became a successful farmer.

My mother’s mother, as a child who was raised by her abusive Italian grandparents grew up to become a very successful restaurant owner among Spokane’s elite Italian restaurants. If ever in Spokane try to visit Ramano’s! It’s still delicious with many of my grandma’s original recipes.

My mother with a backbone as strong as an ox. Never afraid to sacrifice and get dirty to better any situation. Truly a result of such hard working parents she was raised by.

I can see the blessings carried through out the generations by such hard workers with strong work ethics. I can see God’s little gleam of light passing through each of His beloved through these generations now shinning threw me. The heart and appreciation I have for people has enabled me to witness to those who are seemingly lost in ways that speak to their own hearts. I hardly utter many words of faith. But threw the actions of a caring landlord who truly cares for people and can appreciate and understand tenants struggles and situations speaks to them in subtle ways. Only because of Him. By the fruits of His spirit am I able to reach. The tenants who are not affiliated with the drug cartel are very happy with much gratitude to have a new landlord who cares. They make the heaviness and burden of the difficulties worth it.

There are some tenants who face domestic abuse. My mother was terribly abused by her ex-husband. She has sought many hours of counseling and has a heart for other women who find themselves in similar places. My mother resides in one of the town homes. Guess what God did? He placed my mother next door to two women are abused by their spouses. Let me say this, abused women rarely say they can use their painful experiences to benefit others. They are often times left living with feelings of shamefulness, insecurity, deep depression and fear. But my mother has risen from those ashes and is like a bear springing from hibernation!

I have a zero tolerance for drug and alcohol abuse. As of January first, with the aide of my attorney, I’ve implemented a drug free zone and rules and regulations codes that strongly enforce drug and alcohol abuse. With any suspicion of these acts, the police are called and brought on the scene like white on riceJ

So friends, when I say I am faced with discontentment this is what I mean. My home, family and life are here in Billings. My way of living for the past eleven years remains here. But then when I am in Ephrata it’s work, work, work. I am reminded each day that my father is gone and here I am (with many good reasons) living out this obligation. An obligation that has indefinitely turned into a heart matter. Not just me but others as well.
It’s time to assess my priorities and figure out how to live these two very different lives. How can I walk away from any of this? Is this indeed a calling He has chosen me to fulfill?

On my knees I remain. In my heart He resides. In His hands am I.

With love,
Julei