The Love of Keeping Home

Saturday, August 27, 2011






at seasons end

I always become anxious at summer's end.
It's the end of three months of carefree living.
T shirts and shorts. Flip flops and hair just thrown into a pony.
Bathing suits and beach towels draped
over the deck railing to dry.
Clothes lines hung with floral sheets
and shades of light green pillow cases.
Windows open never closed.
Front door agape and slamming of the screen.
9 am sprinklers.
Bicycles in the front yard after countless bike rides.
Afternoons in the park.
Evening walks to watch the ducks.
Concerts in the park.
Iced Lattes to refresh and revive.
Light linen drapes to let the sunshine dance across the room.
Weekends spent floating Montana's rivers.
Eating salads and sandwiches when it's too hot to make or eat
anything else.
Praying for rain to cool off the night.
Nighttime stars.
Sun kissed skin.
Ice cream nightly out of necessity because it's hot!
Dinning outside daily.
All the good stuff that makes summer well, summer!

But...
With all that mentioned and how much I love summer,
I am so excited for Autumn.
Fall is my favorite time of the year!
It's when school starts at our house
and Saturday mornings are spent
at the soccer fields.
It's when I get to redecorate and
bring the warm back in.
From curtains to hooked rugs,
from dish towels to dishes everything
says fall is here!
Although I am terribly
busy with two maybe three
enormous projects, I insist
on enjoying this wonderful season that
is upon us.
These little things I get so excited
over, but I just can't help it.
It's the little things
make my
heart
skip. ~