The Love of Keeping Home

Friday, April 20, 2012



It’s just warms my heart to know that you value the home and family as much as I do! Just the fact that you’re here tells me that you want to keep your happy-home fires burnin’!


Our job as homemakers is so very important, so it’s imperative that we take good care of ourselves! The Bible says that “A cheerful disposition (joy) is good for your health, doom and gloom leave you bone tired.” (Prov.17:22). It’s hard to feel joyful if we don’t get a good night sleep, so let’s create a place for sweet dreams…a comfy cocoon to sink into at the end of a long busy day. When joy-bells are ringing in our heart we feel so much better and can accomplish so much more! A happy mama makes a happier home! I have compiled a simple list of ideas to help you ring in some joy


Clear out any clutter that is piling up in your bedroom: ..laundry…magazines (I’m talking to myself here! I just gave away a huge box of my favorite magazines!)..books…papers…mail…kid’s toys…shoes…ironing board…etc. Clutter drains our joy and steals our peace of mind, but a room that’s clean and fresh-as-a-daisy will bring that joy right back! Dust and polish the newly cleared surfaces, then vacuum the floors!


 Don’t you just love getting into bed when you’ve just changed the sheets? Change your sheets today, tonight you will be so glad you did!
 You can add sweetness to your bed linens by ever-so-lightly rubbing a scented dryer sheet 
I keep some lotion in a drawer on my beside table and I smooth some on my neck and hands when I get into bed. I love smelling good for my hubby and my little ones when I tuck them into bed. 

 In the early evening hours, turn down your bed to get it ready to sink in to (like they do at hotels) and put a glass of ice-water on your night stand.
Take a warm bath or hot shower before bed to unwind and relax your muscles. This is a great time for some aroma-therapy…I really enjoy jasmine.
 Set out your daily planner notebook, spiral pad, calendar or cell phone planner on your night table so that once you’re in bed you can make a list of the things you have to do the next day. Your mind will sleep better if everything is written down and you’ll have a head start on what to do the next day…or else you might wake up in the middle of the night with a sinking feeling that you’re forgetting an important appointment or event. (been there!)

Fresh flowers in a tiny vase or teacup on your bedside table is also a happy and endearing touch…especially if they were picked by someone you love.
  If there is a chill in the air, I tuck a heating pad between the sheets to warm up my spot. I’m telling ya, it is so soothing!

 Some nights I make a cup of hot milk with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (no caffeine at bedtime!)…my Italian Grandma used to make if for me. It’s very comforting. The experts say that milk has tryptophan, an amino acid that your body converts to melatonin and serotonin–both of which are thought to induce sleep. (Of course if you are allergic to milk…try a hot cup of decaf tea!)

Pray. Cast all of your cares upon the Lord. Leave your worries in His mighty hands. Remind yourself that He is in control.
Never go to bed angry…forgive, say you’re sorry, hug and kiss.
Read a passage from the Psalms (I love Psalm 139 and Psalm 103) Think good thoughts before you turn the lights off.
 Go to sleep counting your blessings and thanking the Lord.


I sure hope these ideas help ya take care of sweet adorable YOU!